This post was written by Emily Rubin, RD, a Clinical Dietitian in the Jefferson Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Cannoli are a favorite traditional dessert around the holiday season. This decadent treat is high in calories and fat. The average cannoli is around 240 calories with over 10g of fat. If you’re aiming to make healthier choices this year without sacrificing on taste, read on for my creamy cannoli dip. It’s everything you love about cannoli with lower fat and high calcium so you can feel as good as it tastes!
Makes 15-20 servings
- 1 package honey graham crackers and chocolate graham crackers (broken into small rectangles)*
- 1 8-oz tub of part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 8-oz tub of fat free ricotta cheese
- 1 8-oz tub 1/3 less fat soft cream cheese
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
*For a gluten-free option, use sliced apples or gluten-free graham crackers
- Using a mixer, mix ricotta, vanilla, cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve on chip and dip tray with graham crackers and/or apple slices.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup dish in the middle for a garnish.
- Serve chilled.
NUTRITION FACTS (1/3 cup cannoli dip)
Total Fat 4g