Cleanses and detoxes are everywhere. There are products that claim a detox in three days, seven days or 30 days. But can you really buy a fresh start in a box? We spoke with Dr. Rashna Staid at Jefferson’s Brind-Marcus Center of Integrative Medicine to find safe, effective ways to detox.
- Eat at least nine servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Detoxing shouldn’t only be about what to cut out of your diet, but what to add in. By upping your fruit and veggie game, you’re supplying your body with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- If you miss your target for #1 (fruits and veggies), consider a quality multivitamin to ensure you have all of the micronutrients you need to detoxify and keep your body healthy. Talk to your doctor for recommendations – the vitamin aisle can be overwhelming.
- Increase your intake of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- And while we’re talking supplements, consider a probiotic to boost your gut health. Again, your doctor can help you choose based on your unique health needs.
- Drink at least half of your weight in ounces of water. Water flushes toxins out of your body and prevents dehydration.
- Spice it up! Spices and herbs like garlic, onion, turmeric, and rosemary have strong health benefits and antioxidant properties.
- Enjoy two-three cups of green tea per day to take advantage of its antioxidants.
- Avoid preservatives by choosing whole foods.
- Decrease or eliminate added sugar.
- Decrease or eliminate alcohol intake.
- Decrease caffeinated drinks.
- Detox your self-care routine by swapping out any hair, nail or beauty product that contains parabens. Go for non-toxic alternatives.
- Avoid cooking in Teflon pans that are coated with a synthetic polymer polytetrafluoroetheylene (PTFE). Instead use stainless steel, cast iron, glass or porcelain pans.
- Get eight hours of sleep most nights of the week.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes five times per week and make sure to break a sweat.
- Consider two 15-minute sauna sessions per week. Sweat it out! Talk to your doctor before visiting a sauna especially if you are pregnant or have high blood pressure.
- Detox your thoughts. Meditate, pray, practice mindfulness or enjoy nature. Clean mind, clean body.
Happy New Year!