The Difference One Year Makes

Bridget Law before and after her procedure

Bridget Law before her procedure and after

Bridget Law was a collegiate athlete but after graduating, she gained weight. Throughout the next few years she was always on a diet, trying every branded product on the market. She also was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, which made it even more difficult for her to lose weight. Over the course of the next few years, Bridget developed diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and high triglycerides. She was having trouble keeping up in her job as a high school health and physical education teacher due to the excess weight.

“I felt sick,” she said. “I wanted to get healthy.”

After talking with her family and meeting others who had weight loss surgery, she started to do her own research. That is how she found Jefferson’s Comprehensive Weight Management Program.

On October 28, 2015, Bridget met David Tichansky, M.D., to talk about her options. On February 22, she had a laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.  The procedure resects the stretchy portion of the stomach that makes ghrelin, a hormone that signals hunger to the brain. Approximately 70-80 percent of the stomach is removed while creating a new, smaller stomach in the shape of a sleeve.

Bridget started running again and is up to six miles. She no longer takes medication for diabetes or high blood pressure. “Since the day of my discharge, I have not taken those medications,” she said. “I also no longer need my sleep apnea treatment.”

Most importantly, she feels healthy and more energetic.

“I feel amazing!” she said.

, ,

Add Your Comments and Join the Conversation

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
View our commenting policy.