Here’s a healthy angel food cake recipe that is light and airy. A touch of cocoa powder makes this healthy angel food cake a delicious low fat chocolate dessert.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 qt strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, 3/4 cup of the sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat on high until blended. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar while beating until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in one-third of the flour mixture. Fold in remaining flour mixture until blended.
- Pour batter into Bundt pan. Tap pan on counter to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted toward the center comes out clean. Cool, inverted, for 1 hour. Run a knife along the sides of the pan and invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and some strawberries.
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010