Jefferson Nurse Pursues Doctorate, Rediscovers Personal Nursing Theory

Lori Grosso, RN, CRNP

Lori Grosso, RN, CRNP

In 2007, with over 20 years of nursing experience, Lori Grosso, RN, CRNP, was ready for her next challenge. Lori cared for patients in Dr. Neil Flomenberg’s busy medical oncology practice and contributed to research protocols and peer-reviewed publications. Her growing interest in research led her to Jefferson School of Nursing’s Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program, with the goal of advancing her practice, writing her own protocols and publishing as principal investigator.

The program challenged Lori to think about her own personal nursing theory while studying various models. “I rediscovered myself as a nurse,” she said. “I realized that Dr. Flomenberg doesn’t need another physician at the table. I needed to bring my skills as a nurse to the table.” This includes serving as a facilitator in the interdisciplinary care team and looking at patients’ holistic needs.

In addition to reconnecting with her personal nursing practice, Lori felt that the program gave her the leadership skills necessary to further her career. “I learned how I can take a leadership role in every single context I’m in,” she said.

In 2009, Lori graduated from Jefferson School of Nursing with her Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree. She was a member of the first graduating class.

In addition to clinical care, Lori now serves as a mentor for fellows in the Department of Medical Oncology as part of her responsibilities as a research assistant professor at Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University.

“The program re-energizes you as a nurse and polishes your skills.” Lori said. “The real differentiator for Jefferson’s School of Nursing is the faculty. They have a way of getting things out of you that you didn’t know were there.”

, ,

Add Your Comments and Join the Conversation

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
View our commenting policy.