Study: Cholesterol-Lowering Statin Medications Safe

European researchers analyzed more than 135 medical studies involving nearly 250,000 people to examine the efficacy and safety of various cholesterol-lowering statins.

“As a class, adverse events associated with statin therapy are not common,” the researchers concluded in their analysis recently published in the American Heart Association journal Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. “Statins are not associated with cancer risk but do result in a higher odds of diabetes.”

Cholesterol medications including statins were the 5th most prescribed class of medications in the U.S. last year, according to IMS Health.

While most people do well with cholesterol medications, many are interested in alternative methods of lowering their cholesterol levels.

For those without heart disease seeking to lower their cholesterol levels or maintain healthy levels, Jefferson cardiologist David H. Wiener, MD, director of clinical operations for the Jefferson Heart Institute, says diet and exercise can have a significant impact.

Learn more in “How to Lower Your Cholesterol Levels Without Medication” from our Keep in Touch with Jefferson e-mail newsletter.

Sign up for Keep in Touch to get information on health tips, recipes and notifications of events and free health screenings as well as patient stories and updates on innovative programs available at Jefferson.

, , , , , ,

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

One Response to Study: Cholesterol-Lowering Statin Medications Safe

1. Barbara A. Kelly July 16, 2013 at 11:32 am #

After reading your article, I will follow the advice because I have been given two statins over the years….Zocor in 40 and 20 mg. and Pravastatin in 10mg. All these give me reactions of very, very stiff hands and feet all day long and headaches off and on (which I do not normally have). I have stopped these drugs and the last cardiologist visit in January, 2013 the doctor told me just to do what I can to lower my cholesterol. It was 210 at that time. He had no further advice because of my reactions to the medication. History wise, I supposedly had a small silent heart attack in 2001 that left very little damage ( 20-40% in two places). Thank you for your article.

Add Your Comments and Join the Conversation

View our commenting policy.