Nurse Acts Quickly to Aid Patient

Patty Keenan, BSN, RN with the patient who credits the staff nurse with saving her life.

Patty Keenan, BSN, RN with the patient who credits the Jefferson staff nurse with saving her life.

Patty Keenan, BSN, RN, Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology staff nurse, was recently honored with the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses for her quick thinking and actions on behalf of a patient.

Patty was nominated for the Award which recognizes the amazing work done by our nurses each every day by a grateful patient who credits the nurse with saving her life.

“Patty is very deserving of this award because she basically saved my life with her quick decisions and prompt reactions,” the patient wrote in her nomination. “I have been coming to Jefferson about every three to four weeks for cancer treatments for about one year now.”

After a chemoembolization, the patient says she started to experience pain while waiting to go back to her room.

“Patty was very persistent the whole time asking me about my pain and how I was feeling,” the patient recalled. “She knows I usually experience discomfort after treatment and could have checked it off as being normal for me. When I mentioned chest pain she immediately took action and the cardiac team wasted no time.”

The woman was having a heart attack.

“Within the hour I had two stents placed. Your hospital should be so proud to have such good nurses and doctors,” the patient wrote in her nomination of Patty. “I would like to also thank all those involved in my care that day at that very critical time. My family also wants Patty to know how special she is. Thank you with all my heart.”

About the DAISY Award

The family of J. Patrick Barnes established the DAISY Award as a means of thanking nurses for making a profound difference in the lives of their patients and patient families. In 1999, Patrick died at the age of 33 from complications of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP), a little known but not uncommon auto-immune disease.

Jefferson is proud to bring the tradition of honoring extraordinary nurses to the Hospitals. You can nominate your Jefferson nurse for a DAISY here.

, , , , , , , ,

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

One Response to Nurse Acts Quickly to Aid Patient

1. Rania Fahmy February 14, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Great and inspiring story!!!

Add Your Comments and Join the Conversation

View our commenting policy.