Are You Ready to Dash for Organ Donation?

MarathonI did it. I signed up to run a 10K in the Dash for Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness on April 15th. That’s 6.2 miles, and I have to say I’m both a little nervous and really happy that I took the plunge to run the 10K.

I’m nervous because by signing up I’ve committed myself to running, and I’m not sure I’m in good enough running shape.

I’m happy because I know supporting donation awareness can help thousands of people in need of new organs. It also forces me to get off my duff and get back in shape. Just three weeks after the Dash, I’m going to be running the 10 mile Broad Street Run. So, it’s time to stop fooling around and start running regularly in preparation.

There are currently more than 113,000 people on the waiting lists for organs. In 2011, there were 14,146 donors and a total of 28,535 transplants, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing, the nonprofit organization that manages organ donations nationally. The numbers demonstrate the critical importance of raising awareness of organ donation.

So, how about it? Sign up for the Dash and support organ donation. Jefferson is a co-sponsor of the Dash, which includes a 3K walk, a 10K run, and a 5K run as well. You can sign up here and join Team Jefferson. Show your support for Transplantation at Jefferson where our surgeons perform over 150 life-changing solid organ transplants per year.

All runners and walkers who register with the team will receive a Jefferson T-shirt and refreshments.

Funds raised will be used to support donation and transplantation through public education and awareness programs, the Team Philadelphia entry in the U.S. Transplant Games, and the Gift of Life Family House.

, ,

Add Your Comments and Join the Conversation

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
View our commenting policy.