Women Have More Sleep Problems

women drinking coffeeLike almost everyone I know, I have the occasional night when I can’t get to sleep or I am unable to get back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night. While I am frustrated by this, what really amazes me is that women are more prone to these sorts of disturbances.

According to the National Sleep Foundation nearly 40 million American adults have some type of sleep disorder. And sleep problems, led by insomnia, are more common in women than men.

Women tend to have more sleep problems at the beginning of their menstrual cycle, during pregnancy, and at the onset of menopause. A story in the New York Times Magazine on Sunday highlighted the issue of women and sleep.

The unique nature of women’s sleep difficulties has been a focus of the Jefferson Sleep Disorders Center through our Women’s Program which provides expert diagnosis and treatments for women.

The multidisciplinary team of psychologists, psychiatrists, pulmonologists, otolaryngologists, obstetrician-gynecologists, and oral and maxillofacial surgeons will work to understand your individual situation and develop a customized treatment plan for you.

If you are pregnant, we work closely with your obstetrician, as well as other physicians as dictated by your situation. Moreover, the Jefferson Sleep Disorders team participates in national research trials, and conducts our own clinical studies to better understand sleep problems in women, men and children.

,

Add Your Comments and Join the Conversation

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
View our commenting policy.